Dark Matter Exists, Researchers Say

Researchers have confirmed that the majority of the Universe (some 70%)- is composed of dark energy, which exerts negative pressure.

The BBC reported on a study team's findings in "Team finds 'proof' of dark matter," 7/21/06 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/5272226.stm). According to the article:

"By contrast, the ordinary matter we can see is believed to make up no more than about 5% of our Universe." Thus, the universe is made of:

70% - dark energy
25% - dark matter
5% - ordinary matter

The physical reality which we are only now discovering provides a powerful metaphor--physics as metaphysics. What we see is only 5% of all matter, while dark matter and dark energy comprise the other 95%.

Of course, 'light' and 'dark' are only nomenclature, but they are suggestive of exoteric and esoteric, evident and behind the ordinary senses, visceral and intuitive, conscious and unconscious. And the percentages are revealing: what we have thus far with all our scientific equipment taken to be real is only 5%.